The Adulting Dilemma; The Redundant Growth Phase.

 





They did tell us many lies about this adulting thing. Many lies I say! One of the many things they "forgot" to mention is the Redundant Growth Phase. I don't know if you have experienced this but I have and still do. This phase is as weird as it sounds. It doesn't even feel like it's just a phase that will pass, this goes on from your teenage years to your adult years till when it feels like going away. Will this stage ever outgrow us?? I honestly have no idea.


I'll try to explain this annoying phase. Imagine this: You, a fine young person, you know you have achieved a lot, you look at yourself in the mirror, a million and one dozen times and try to say how much proud you are of yourself but you just can't. Scratch the mirror. There's this constant feeling that the world has moved on and left you behind. Nobody wrote an official letter telling you the world is about to move. Nobody told you where it's moving to, but the world is moving and you are stuck. The funny thing is, you have been working, you work so hard. 24/7, 365. But the moment you take a second to catch your breath the world starts moving. Na wah.


Here's what I've done and what you can do about this phase. I've realized that this phase will never end, I bet it happens with our parents. The constant fear that they are lacking in a particular aspect of their lives. Human psychology is insatiable. If they were an award for the most insatiable thing in the universe, human psychology would win over and over again. Why? 

You just can't satisfy it! You set goals. You achieve them. Your mind begins to make you feel what you did isn't enough and you should probably do a "little more" which you do, and it becomes a never-ending cycle. You are trapped between thinking you should do more,  actually doing more, and thinking that what you have done is not enough. Mtchewwww.


As I was saying, this phase never ends, so when it comes I know that's just self-doubt trying to rear its ugly head and I'm an old friend of self-doubt, it has hurt me, I know all its tips and tricks. It will ruin you if you let it in. I have a list, this list contains all the things I have achieved, I didn't only add the huge wins, I added the little things that make sense to me and make me happy like being able to successfully open a sardine tin after 7 shameful attempts (yes, I did and if you laugh, your tongue will fall out πŸ˜’) LOL.


Try making a list of your achievements, don't overthink it, just write it down, I assure you, once you get past 5 you won't want to stop writing.


Dear Gen Z, dear Millenial. You are enough. You are doing enough. You are going to do enough. Nobody ever got a trophy from being killed by mental pressure.


Ever experienced the redundant growth phase? 

Care to share your experience?

How did you deal with it? 


I want to know. Teach us something, let's try to get this adulting thing right.


I'll be in the comment section😊


P.S:


My long silence can be explained with a "Life happens, and I thought I was invincible but I learned the hard way."


I didn't write this post whilst listening to any music, but I've been re-hooked to Show Dem Camp's "Palmwine Express" 



Love, 


Yard GirlπŸ’–








Comments

  1. Replies
    1. You are welcome, glad you enjoyed reading this

      Delete
  2. I LOVE YOU Yardgirl❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice writeup❤️
    Still reading though

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew I was going to like it here from the moment I saw the name 😍

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always just told myself, "others feel this way too". Feels good to know I'm not alone.
    Nice write up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not alone😊

      Thank youπŸ’–

      Delete
  7. Thank you for writing this. ❤️πŸ’―

    ReplyDelete
  8. So there is a name to what and how I'be been feeling for longer than I can even remember😌. Thank you for sharing. Now I won't feel so weird about myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just discovered the phase. Thank you for taking out time to readπŸ’–

      Delete
  9. Thanks for this, Yard girl....

    I've also had my share of this "redundant growth phase".

    Indeed when I take a breath it feels like the whole world is flying ( running is an understatement) and I'm far behind.

    I try to remind myself that I didn't just stop, I had a good reason, I'm aiming at something and I'll get it.

    I also count my wins.

    Thank you πŸ’ž

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–

      Delete
  10. You literally had me coming here.πŸ™„ now I hope I find peace Nice work done love πŸ”₯πŸ‘Œ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. No peace for the wicked πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

      Thank you, Tega

      Delete
  11. I guess everyone goes through this phase. Like you said, it will ruin you if you let it in. Important thing is to push through every self doubt and overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this, Yard girl
    Everyone goes through this phase.
    We should all learn to acknowledge the slightest and smallest progress we make. As there is no one that is insignificant

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks alot... I'm really glad I read this...

    ReplyDelete
  14. How you put these words together just wows me Everytime!! nice one dear and I think it came to me at the right time, smilesπŸ™Œ

    ReplyDelete
  15. Finally somebody said it!...lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a phase we all go through but it ain't gonna stop us from achieving our goals 😌.
    Thumbs up, girlπŸ‘❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It ain't got nothing on us! Thank you😊😊

      Delete
  17. And this is one of the reasons I love you, you always put my thoughts in words and writing, really needed this ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  18. You never cease to amaze me with your content

    Augustine...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Every time I try to catch my breath, the world moves on!!! By the world I mean IG. I struggle with using IG rn, I want to but when I look at the content people put out ehn, I just jejely sit down��

    Adulating isn't easy. One time, I got nominated for an award as a blogger and my brain told me that I was not worth it. I kept telling myself "so, you got nominated just for sharing your thoughts?". Yo!!! I had to slap that thought out!! I am worth it. I put in so much work to make it happen!

    As you said, the human psychology is insatiable. It is a never ending cycle of doing more and more only for you to not be satisfied. It's tiring sometimes!

    How do I deal with this? I talk to my friend and I journal. When I journal, I write it like a letter to God, like, God see o, see what your girl is going through oh.

    I have never written my wins down, I only write what I want to do and thinking about it now, that's bad oh. I'll try it as you have suggested.

    Thank you, Yard Girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this, Sylvia. You are worth it! About IG don't fuss over it anymore, creating content will come natural, continue in a niche that you are comfortable with and voila!!

      Delete
  20. Like you were in my head, this phase of Adulthood is just like a cycle no matter what you do you just don't feel enough.
    And social media doesn't help, stunted growth on social media makes You think you're growing backwards, Adulthood is..... I try to find a word to describe it , but i find none. Meanwhile, i can't believe it took you seven tries to finally open a sardine����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing thisπŸ’“ Although, there's nothing like social media growth, when you pay attention to growing on social media you loose the main thing, growing in real life.

      Lol, yeah! I finally opened the tin after 7 triesπŸ˜‚

      Delete
  21. Smiled at the “opening sardine" part so my tongue won't fall off bcoz I didn't laugh. Realistic piece though

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would think robots read this post if you don't leave a comment. Please leave a comment if you are not a robot. LOL.

Popular posts from this blog

Ooin! You Are Doing Well.

The Post-Pandemic Effect And...

On Death And Grief.