WAIT I WASN'T READY




"Ruky! Wake up, it's time to get ready". I was excited, I rode on a cloud to the bathroom, in a few minutes I was ready. Dad gave me a Bible, a daily devotional, some money and " a word of advice". I could swear I saw tears welling up in his eyes. I got in the passenger seat , mom in the driver's seat, said a word of prayer, I crossed myself, off we were to Bayelsa state. That was my first time going somewhere, that was not Benin, again I was excited. It was a long long drive, being the first time, I almost fell asleep but I had to remind myself that this was my first day of being a "big girl" and couldn't afford to miss a moment of this, of course mom was there with a constant reminder of me to master the routes to my school.

We arrived Yenegoa, exactly 1pm -I should remember- mom asked directions and she was directed to follow one of the buses at Tombia which with their now-familar tone sang "Amassoma NDU, twele twele we dey go". We trailed along, mom was not one to speed. We had arrived. I breathed deeply, (so this was what University air smelt. The smell of freedom) or so I thought. We met my "cousin" (I still do not know how or if we are related) He joined us in the car, exchanged pleasant pleasantries with me and directed mum to my new apartment. Now my parents had insisted, I stayed alone, since I was a Pre-degree Student, I would not be allocated a hostel bed space and getting a random person for a roommate would not be a so wise decision. We got to the hostel-lodge and according to what mum and Cousin had arranged, the house was already stocked with all I would need to be moderately comfortable as a student, after mom ,  Cousin and I, packed my Bags and foodstuff from the car, we settled down to the food we brought from home. After the meal, Cousin left, he had a class to attend. Mom put her feet up a bit, gave me more money, entrusted me with her ATM card, I had non then, I was too young to own a bank card.

Mom hugged me tightly, I walked with her to the car, waved till she was out of sight. I went back into my apartment, sat on my bed, it dawned on me , I was alone, I felt naked. I wanted to pack my bags real quick, Run after the car and yell.  

    Wait! I wasn't ready!

📷: my best friend, Onodua Kindness (Karndie)💜

Love,
Yard Girl

Comments

Post a Comment

I would think robots read this post if you don't leave a comment. Please leave a comment if you are not a robot. LOL.

Popular posts from this blog

The Post-Pandemic Effect And...

Ooin! You Are Doing Well.

On Death And Grief.