In Communion.




I hadn't received holy communion in a long while, I just had to receive it today, something kept pulling me and I didn't realize that I was in front of the altar, palms ready to receive the body and blood of Christ.

My mind was playing games on me, the priest looked exactly like the man I murdered last week. I blinked multiple times, it was him! Giving holy communion to parishioners, I tried to stand, but my body betrayed me, it felt like my knees were fixed to the ground. I looked up at the life-sized crucifix of the brunette Jesus Christ, it looked like the painted blood was actually flowing from his side, I bowed my head.

******

“Guy, I'm telling you, this is the last job you'll do for me. This is a special order bro, the pay is good, it will set you up for life”
Ifechukwu was trying to convince me to do one more job after I plainly told him I was done when I collected my last paycheck. My last job was a clean one, it was my last, I wanted to be my last, so, I wanted it to be more perfect than my previous jobs. But here was Ifechukwu, trying to convince me to do something else.

“Who does this job even belong to?, why is it so important I do it, what's so special?” I asked
Ifechukwu thrust his hand in his trouser pocket and brought out a neatly folded check and handed it to me. My eyes popped out of their sockets, and I tried hard not to let it show, the amount on the check was double the amount of three jobs together!
“This is just for you if you accept to do the job. Just acceptance o!” He grinned mischievously.

 “I've told you that this job will set you up for life, after this, I'll never look for you again, I swear on my sister”

Ermm! Ifechukwu, you don't have a sister, so stop making empty swears. I subbed him.
He laughed, “Does this mean you'll do it? Just say Yes”

I thrust the check back in his open palm, watching the smile fade from his rugged face.
“No!, I won't do it, but I'm willing to meet the client”

This was strange, even to me. I'd never met with a client, I received job details, payment, and gave feedback directly to Ifechukwu. Killing people for pay was bad enough, I loved living in the shadows, the client, and I being oblivious of the other's existence. Clean Work!
Ifechukwu hesitantly agreed and set up a meeting with the client.

I met “The Boss” as he preferred to be addressed, in a rundown hotel which was said to be haunted. I stepped into the reception which was overgrown by weeds and fungi on the chipped floor tiles and walls, and there he was waiting for me. He didn't look disturbed by my choice of location or the look I gave him.  He was not a big man, he was short, stooped shoulder, and a back so arched you'd have taught he had a hunch.

When he spoke, I felt a chill down, my spine, he's wasn't the voice of a man contacting an assassin for the first time, he sounded like he paid people to kill everyday, as if he could kill for fun. His instructions were precise and straight to the point. Four Knife stabs at the back, Two bullets in the head. I wanted to object, but he read my mind and threw two checks at me. One, the check Ifechukwu offered, and the other a very handsome amount. He made towards the door and thrust an envelope to my chest. More details on where to find my target.

“The Boss, why do you want to kill this man so much?” I asked, surprising myself. He stopped and turned to face me, grinned wickedly, and continued on his way out.

*****
I found the man, just where The Boss said, he'd be, he was with a woman, her skin had a natural yet unnatural glow, like someone who made a mistake with a toning cream and was trying to correct it. She had a beautiful smile, she sat on his laps and would occasionally slap him playfully, throwing her head back to laugh. She wasn't his wife, probably a sex adventure, but definitely not his girlfriend either, I knew both his wife and girlfriend.

He kissed her and walked to the restroom. I followed him closely, and shut the door behind me, whilst he was in one of the stalls, I took time to confirm that the camera at the entrance of the restroom went blind temporarily, it was going to be a fast one. He got out and started washing his hands, I was trying to engage him in small talk, he obviously wasn't interested, and he walked off to the door. I quickly reached for him, held him in a firm neck-tight grip, and pushed him to the floor.

Please, please... I have a family..... Who sent you... I'll pay double... Don't kill me... My..... And I did it. Four stabs at his back and two bullet shots to the head. I paused to admire my handwork and walked off.

It was my last job, and I was happy, not because I just brutally murdered a man, but because I would be finally free to live with my ghosts, no additions or subtractions, no more jobs, and a great chunk of money in my account. Dammit! I was a billionaire.

I would go to church the next week and support the church's building. I'd give some money to the orphanage I was raised. I  pay my tithe and on Monday I'd be on a one-way ticket to the Maldives.

The perfect plan!


********

“Body and Blood of Christ”

 A tender voice jolted me back to reality.
I felt a hand on my shoulder and I jolted! ,like electricity frenzied through my body.

“Brother! Brother! Are you alright” the man asked, only this time, it wasn't the man, it was the priest asking, the host and chalice held in his right hand, his left on my shoulder.

Yes... Yes...

“Body And Blood Of Christ” he repeated.

Amen! I squeaked out. He placed the holy round flatbread in my palm. I placed it on my tongue and briskly walked out of the church.

Comments

Post a Comment

I would think robots read this post if you don't leave a comment. Please leave a comment if you are not a robot. LOL.

Popular posts from this blog

Ooin! You Are Doing Well.

The Post-Pandemic Effect And...

On Death And Grief.