Adulthood Is A Scam, And I fell For It.

 


No jokes, it is what it is!

I went from "I want to be a doctor" and evolved to "I want to be a pharmacist" and the monotone changed to "I want to be a lawyer" and now, I'm currently in my finals studying English, working a full-time job as a content developer/projects manager and being frustrated by the Nigerian government featuring ASUU. Na wah!

Agreeably, all we wanted to do when we were younger was GROW UP! Now, I just want to put my life on pause and probably reverse this growth. Every day I wake up as an "adult" with more things to worry about. I'm low-key trying to catch cruise and chop life because problem no dey finish but the reality is still going stare me right in the face. We grew up with a lie "when you grow, you can do what you want" well, Auntie Bola, I'm all grown up now, but I can't do what I want because you lied to me, you didn't tell me getting into University would be as hard as trying to get a camel through the needle's eye, you didn't mention how being a Nigerian student was horrible, you didn't mention how ASUU would make me waste 9 months of precious family planning, neither did you mention that the Nigerian government would try to kill me for speaking up and making legit money, you also forgot to mention how graduating with the best grades is not a sure way to get a good job, you forgot to mention the heartbreaks and the mental meltdowns too, Aunty Bola lied to meπŸ₯Ί. I'm sure you had an Aunty Bola too.


My younger sister, complains every time I don't let her play games on my phone and she goes "wait till I'm grown up, I'll have my phone" if only she knew how badly I want to turn off my phone for a whole week without having to stress, she would rethink her "growing up resolution" I'm going to try to explain to this young lady -even though she's just 11- that adulthood is not an escape route (I won't scare her tho)


What I thought "growing up" was all about, was Primary school, Secondary school, University, NYSC, Great Job, Marriage, Kids, Happily Ever After & Faaji but, omooo × 100 what are these things I'm going through like this?! πŸ˜‚πŸ₯Ί


These things have and will come in this order but the road bumps hills and valleys to get to each stage (deep sigh)...


What worries me the most about adulthood is the fact that I still live with my parents, but my account balance and mental health are upside down. Which brings me to the big question, Am I even ready to move out of this House and miss free food and start paying house rent?!?! Hayy God!!


Being a Nigerian is hard, being a young Nigerian is just WOW. But in all, we meuvvvee!

We catch a cruise, we cry, we work hard, we strive, we fall, we rise. We keep moving!!!


How's the adult life treating you, or rather, how are you treating the adult life? Lol


I'll be waiting to read your answers in the comment section.



Chike gives me writing inspiration because I had Chike's Boo Of The Booless on repeat writing this.


 Have a great week ahead!

Love, 

Yard Girl❤

Comments

  1. God knows that I have so much to say and nothing to say about being an adult. I legit just graduated and I can’t ask for money because the next thing I’ll hear is “a whole graduate like you”
    Lmaooo na for cloth I graduate. I’ve not even seen my final result yet.
    Anyways, we don’t have a choice but to keep adulting. God will see us through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deep sigh* it is well my dear. Congratulations!!

      Delete
  2. Aunty Bola really lied to us����. Lmao...I don't think i want to think about moving out of my parent's house, whose fridge will I open by 3am to eat from? Omo, this is a big scam but let's just catch cruise while it last.

    PS: Chike is such an inspiration. I think I'm in love. Lol��.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scam that live in πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

      Yes, Chike is all that!!

      Delete
  3. Boulevard. πŸ˜‚22 November 2020 at 12:30

    I try not to think too much about being independent after graduation and Law School. ��
    I neva wan go into depression.
    I just try to read daily and equip myself with knowledge and relevant skills in prep. Den, I match break. ��
    I sha know it won't be terribly hard. Amen. ��

    Nice piece, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't be easy but we move. Brilliant, I know this is you. Lol "boulevard"

      Thank youuuu

      Delete
  4. Omoooo x100 Aunty Bola really did is dirty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very apt description of adulthood. Even when you have your own kids, you'll still be thinking "Should I not run away like this?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Anita, I'm not even there yet, but already scared.

      Thank youu

      Delete
  6. Omorr they never told us about this Scam! I want to graduate but deep down I am not financially ready πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! So many lies. They want tension us. Lol

      Delete
  7. Omo!!!! I feel this is something everyone can relate to at least one point in their lives...be a nigerian is hard then be a young Nigerian student and one in a federal university under asuu is just wow!! But we moveeee

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just completed my service and have been thinking of getting my own place. Omoooooooo! No be just the house rent scare me oh, when I start thinking of the things I'd need to move in and the NEPA bills that would be coming in every month, not to talk of the fuel for generator ( that na if I even get money to buy generator), my heart starts running a marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breathe. Breathe again. You have survived. You will survive. You got this. But omooo

      Delete
  9. HeheheheπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Aunty Bola lied to me ehn no be small. She shave my head scatter😩. But I'm grateful I'm still alive. Right from primary school. It was pass your primary 6 exam and when you enter secondary school you can do what you want. Ok I passed it. Entered secondary school. It was pass your waec and jamb once and when you enter university you can do whatever you want. Ok I passed it. I entered university and omo x 1000000000. I don't even know how to describe it. The lie on ground is get your first degree and you can do whatever you want with your money. But omo I know that it is another lie too. But in all we meuvvvvveeee.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like, the bar has been set so high. After one phase comes another even tougher one. God help us

      Delete
  10. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
    Really, we movvveeee.

    Me that thought I would be a multi-millionaire by now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderment πŸ˜‚.
    Well for your sister just teach/tell her to learn a skill or trade to help her reduce the adult stress.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would think robots read this post if you don't leave a comment. Please leave a comment if you are not a robot. LOL.

Popular posts from this blog

Ooin! You Are Doing Well.

The Post-Pandemic Effect And...

On Death And Grief.