"So Far. So Good. Koni Bajé, My Darling!'"




If you are reading this (on the date of its publication), it's my birthday! 


Hey, it's been a while!! If you are loyal to the Yard People Community, you should've gotten a drift of what has happened in the past months since I last wrote to you.


I started a podcast. I Went to suffer small for Nigeria as the patriotic citizen that I am.


So a few friends have asked how I feel about turning 22, well, it feels weird that I'm not as excited about my birthday as I used to be. It's crazy, it is! In 2020, I created time to do a professional photo shoot, got a cake, and actually had an in-house party with friends and all. I raised hell and broke shit, literally, because I broke my father's favourite wine glass. Lol.


Fast forward to 2021, I was a fresh graduate, a month into my new job, the money was there and it was good but I didn't go all out for the birthday, spent it again with my family and best friends.


Well, let's say 21 taught me a lot. Life is fickle. People will come into your life and leave the same way they came, some help you go through a phase, and some don't. I dealt with balancing, my personal life, career, and my family without having to make any of them suffer. Was it easy? No. Did I eventually get the hang of it? Absolutely not!


I broke down multiple times in the past year, I could see my mental health blowing off to pieces and I was too weak to put it back together, my health tested me, dealt with denial and grief, almost rage-quit my job on many occasions(Thank God I didn't because the kain Sapa ehn!), but I realized that would not solve the problem.


I also discovered something; I underestimate myself a bit too much and am often a tad ungrateful. And I'm more socially conscious.


I am writing this a few seconds till I'm 22, and try as much as I can to be as excited as I was about my birthday 2 years ago, but I can't. Is it the stark realization that I’m getting older and still in this country with Agbádö manifestos and presidential birthright candidates? 


Or is it the fact that my priorities have changed and what would make me go crazy with excitement two years ago that doesn't even move me now?


21 was great! And I do not regret my mistakes (I do sha, but that won't change anything) 22 will be even better. Cheers to a new dispensation!




This year I'm counting my blessings, not my losses. I am grateful for life, and the beautiful things it brings, grateful for my friends, my family, my job, my passion, dreams, and obsessions. This girl is grateful!!! Thank you, Abba!


Alsoooo, Drum rolls pleaseee…….


This post was written from my first ever apartment, paid for with my own money. Proud Yard Girl Moment, please. Moving away from home was very hard, and I can swear I saw my daddy cry when I told him I wasn't moving back home after my service year. Lol. But he has to accept that his little girl's grown up but if sapa hit me one kain, dem go waybill Garri for me😅😅


All this I've written and you think I won't ask for gifts? Lmao. Paying for this house almost wrecked me, I don't even know how I'm still here. You do not want to know the price of curtains these days. Jeez!


This also means, if you are thinking of gifting me stuff, you can start from here, I made a wishlist. Don't judge No 2. Abeg. You can also tell me nice things via mail.



Finally…..




Happy Birthday, Yard Girl!


This is 22; the year of the Divine! ❤


So far. So good. Koni Baje, My Darling!


P.S; Plans for my birthday include a bottle of red wine, bars of chocolate, Bole & Beans, mixed with a touch of ‘'awwwns & Thank you’’ and work plus the plenty money you will send me. Thainkz!



Listening to Fireboy's 'Playboy' whilst writing this. Diana is my Fav. 


Comments

  1. Happy birthday my darling❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday baby girl 🤗❤️ You’re doing absolutely great for yourself, don’t let the pressures of being a Nigerian tell you otherwise. It’s okay to not be excited about every single birthday, it’s not even realistic, if you think of it. All that matters is being grateful 🤗 Have a lovely 22 ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much. This means a lot to me❤❤❤

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Sis
    Have an amazing year, love you ten thousand

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happiest birthday my crush since way back🥰🥰......cheers to a beginning of greatness🥳🥳🥳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuuu, my honourable crush❤❤❤

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday dear

    ReplyDelete
  6. mena, you're doing so well!
    Live,laugh and prosper
    Happy fun-filled birthday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday my love, I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday my darling.. I love you big big and I’m so proud of you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday YG. I wasn't so excited on my last birthday too. And like someone already said, all that matters is being grateful.
    Cheers to a very blissful year, and many more wins 🍻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "all that matters is being grateful" Thank you so much ❤❤

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday yard girl ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday YARDGIRL ❤️❤️❤️🎂

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday Mena❤️ I wish you all the best

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday, 'mena.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday sweetheart, you are such a wonderful and amazing person. One of the beautiful souls I met in the OBS. Keep elevating dear. Cheers to a new dispensation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday miss, wullnp

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read through without stopping to blink, it's like I even forgot that there's a think called blink.

    Happy birthday Yard President. I love you so much and I'm happy for this year of divinity for you.

    Cheers to a million blessings on the way🥂

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday dear 🎈🎂

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday in arias... Omo... It's the bole and beans for me o...😁😁

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey beautiful...I love your blogpost and I know the lord has great things in store for you...see you at the top!!! Happy birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marooo, it's been a minute. Amen! Thank you so much ❤❤❤

      Delete
  20. Not sure what to say but Happy Belated Birthday, first time here and yep I enjoyed every second spent reading this. Hopefully I’ll be back again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome then!! Hope to have you back on the next read! Thank you ❤❤

      Delete
  21. A belated happy birthday, Efemena. I hope you grow wiser and smarter and that more money fills your coffers because we all need it.
    As for moving out, I applaud your action. Hopefully, next year, it'll be the same for me.
    I can't remember the last time I felt excited about a birthday. I usually feel dread and anxiety. I look forward to a year where I can anticipate the next birthday.
    You're awesome, so don't forget that. As for life, it happens to everyone. The best thing is that you learn as you move on. Have a great rest of the year. Muah 💋😘

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just fell in love Mena 🥰Happy birthday my darling keep exploring and excelling 💯

    ReplyDelete
  23. just passing by...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would think robots read this post if you don't leave a comment. Please leave a comment if you are not a robot. LOL.

Popular posts from this blog

The Post-Pandemic Effect And...

Ooin! You Are Doing Well.

On Death And Grief.