Season 23, Episode 1


If you are reading this, it's my birthday. Yessss, right? It's been a whole year since I wrote to you; I have been chasing the bag and getting a hold of my mental health. One thing they won't tell you as you grow older is how much your mental health is tied to having money. Well, not necessarily having all the money in the world but indeed being comfortable. For me? Being extremely comfortable to afford the basics and little extra in life.

I've spent the past days leading to this day buried in work and looking at snap chat highlights from 2020 - 2022. Those highlights made me realize how my excitement for my birthday has dwindled. In 2020, I even went a little extra to get my makeup done and had an elaborate pre-birthday photoshoot. Last year, my best friend came over and took cute photos of me in a dress I haven't had the chance to wear again. (P.S; my best girl also did same this year)


This year, I've gotten a lot of pep-talk from my best girls, and I'm in a new city. Hold up before you smile with glee; I'm not here to celebrate; I just needed a change of scenery and also to see my best girl.

Also, you can say this blog post is also a birthday tradition.


Updates from my last birthday -


Life is still happening to me, and that's the beauty of it, complex as it sounds, because if life stops happening, well, we'd cease to exist. Isn't that it? 


I completed my service year, and contrary to what I believed would happen after it ended, I did not move back home. I am an independent woman. Sniffs* 


My house is still missing furniture, but that's the epic part of how it started vs how it's going journey, right?


I have struggled with the loss of my grandmother, grief and everything that comes in between.

I met good people, I met a good person.


I have a closer relationship with my younger siblings because I learned how to balance my career and family time. Even though they call mostly to complain and bill me, I really like being able to provide for them and be their backup. 


I am still finding myself and want to avoid being in Nigeria in the next 5 years. 


That's all that happened between last year and this year.


When a friend asked why I wasn't so hyped about my birthday this year, I didn't make a quick excuse for nothing. The answer was simple, I am just not excited. But I feel gratitude; I am exceedingly grateful to Abba for life, for all I've achieved, for my family and the people in my corner. Yes, I often complain about how life is kicking me down, but I look back and see that most of what I have now is what I prayed for. I feel at peace and grateful.


So if you are just like me, stuck in a birthday haze and trying to make big plans for your day, you could start with gratitude and believe me, you'll feel whole, and everything will fall into place.

One more thing, I can't believe the age I'm turning today, lol. Take me back to 16! 


Anyways here's to Season 23, Episode 1. The Year of the Divine (again, lol). See the last blog post for reference.


Here's to a new age. May I grow wiser, bask in the beauty of Abba's love and the love of the people surrounding me.

Happy birthday, YG! πŸŽ‚πŸŽˆ


P.S.; I wrote this while listening to 'Breathe' by Maverick City Music × Chandler Moore × Jonathan McRenolyds. 


Also, send gifts. What's a birthday without one? You can always reach me via email @menacelyn@gmail.com



Comments

  1. Happy birthday Yardgirl! I'm very far off but everyday I see how far you've gone, overly, I get inspired. Cheers to many more years πŸ₯‚πŸ₯‚

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Mena
    Many more fruitful years to comeπŸŽŠπŸŽ‰

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Efemena.
    Here’s your gift 🎁.
    Enjoy πŸ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Beautiful ❤️.
    It never gets easier but guess what? It gets even better.
    We all pray and hope to find ourself soon and surely we will.
    Have an amazing year YG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, yardgirl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday girl πŸ₯° do amazing things this year!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would think robots read this post if you don't leave a comment. Please leave a comment if you are not a robot. LOL.

Popular posts from this blog

The Post-Pandemic Effect And...

Ooin! You Are Doing Well.

On Death And Grief.